Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities

    I like it. I think he means well.

    https://www.tampabay.com/news/educat...-universities/

  • #2
    "I think he means well"

    Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	56
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	82866

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder what “in line with the States Priorities”, means….. sounds like Florida University system is about to get a big dose of Disney treatment…

      I don’t disagree that Tenure would be subject to reevaluation, but this soujrs like a framework for more political retribution….

      glad I don’t live in Florida… might get hard to attract business, talented young individuals or now appears university faculty…

      good luck, FLA.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Roh View Post
        "I think he means well"

        Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	56
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	82866
        I mean, Tenure should be evaluated as time goes on…. should you have faculty retain tenure that barely teaches, doesn’t do research, doesn’t publish…

        but Florida’s governor and legislature aren’t concerned with that in certain of it… they want to re-engineer the university system, and take retribution on those who oppose…

        which books and classes will be banned first?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by B-Large View Post
          I wonder what “in line with the States Priorities”, means….. sounds like Florida University system is about to get a big dose of Disney treatment…

          I don’t disagree that Tenure would be subject to reevaluation, but this soujrs like a framework for more political retribution….

          glad I don’t live in Florida… might get hard to attract business, talented young individuals or now appears university faculty…

          good luck, FLA.
          Hopefully it means what the people want. Come on, if Joe Osteen or the Church had their own land with their own rules... You'd be screaming shut it down. Long overdue here as well.

          MDs are held accountable for their work. Why not PhDs?

          Comment


          • #6
            “Tenure was there to protect people so that they could do ideas that may cause them to lose their job or whatever, academic freedom — I don’t know that’s really the role it plays, quite frankly, anymore,” DeSantis said.
            Freedom upsets DeSantis. **** DeSantis.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post

              Hopefully it means what the people want. Come on, if Joe Osteen or the Church had their own land with their own rules... You'd be screaming shut it down. Long overdue here as well.

              MDs are held accountable for their work. Why not PhDs?
              You don’t work in Academic Medicine, huh? Tenure like structures in medicine might be worse than university academia…

              You can try to justify clear cut political retribution if you want, I guess just hope you’re never on the sharp end of that political stick… there will be copy cats and those looking to one up… it’s a dangerous precedent, and ironic it’s coming from the conservative party.. or least once was..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post

                Hopefully it means what the people want. Come on, if Joe Osteen or the Church had their own land with their own rules... You'd be screaming shut it down. Long overdue here as well.

                MDs are held accountable for their work. Why not PhDs?
                "...what the people want..."

                Click image for larger version  Name:	minions-laughing-rofl.gif Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	82916

                This guy cracks me up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Roh View Post

                  "...what the people want..."

                  Click image for larger version Name:	minions-laughing-rofl.gif Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	82916

                  This guy cracks me up.
                  Desantis won by a pretty tight margin, didn’t he? Far from an overwhelming majority mandate…

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post

                    Hopefully it means what the people want. Come on, if Joe Osteen or the Church had their own land with their own rules... You'd be screaming shut it down. Long overdue here as well.

                    MDs are held accountable for their work. Why not PhDs?
                    Religious institutions have advantageous cutouts, due to non profit status and the importance of religious freedom…

                    I guess a more apt example would be Polis going after Focus on the Family for some reason… if that still exists… wrong is wrong…

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't see much difference between the deal Florida made with Disney and the deals numerous cities/states make with NFL teams to build stadiums. They do it for the tax revenue and the prestige. And now he goes after universities?

                      DeSantis is reckless in the extreme. The last type of person you would want as president. He's trying to prove his bonafides to the extremists by sacrificing state institutions: "Look at me! I'm even crazier and more extreme than Trump!" Creating chaos to prop himself up in the media. Not good.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Roh View Post
                        I don't see much difference between the deal Florida made with Disney and the deals numerous cities/states make with NFL teams to build stadiums. They do it for the tax revenue and the prestige. And now he goes after universities?

                        DeSantis is reckless in the extreme. The last type of person you would want as president. He's trying to prove his bonafides to the extremists by sacrificing state institutions: "Look at me! I'm even crazier and more extreme than Trump!" Creating chaos to prop himself up in the media. Not good.
                        DeSantis is playing to the idiot Trump (but I repeat myself) crowd. They detest thinking and smart people.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by W*GS View Post

                          DeSantis is playing to the idiot Trump (but I repeat myself) crowd. They detest thinking and smart people.
                          Much as I hate to agree, that seems to be the play. A way to bring DeSantis into the national spotlight enough to possibly take on the mantle. Or at least get him nearer to Trump in brand recognition among that set.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

                            Much as I hate to agree, that seems to be the play. A way to bring DeSantis into the national spotlight enough to possibly take on the mantle. Or at least get him nearer to Trump in brand recognition among that set.
                            How long until Trump attacks DeSantis?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by B-Large View Post

                              Desantis won by a pretty tight margin, didn’t he? Far from an overwhelming majority mandate…
                              He's burning down the HWY doing 75 in a 65.. And the fans are going crazy for it. Good luck catching him now.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by B-Large View Post
                                Desantis won by a pretty tight margin, didn’t he? Far from an overwhelming majority mandate…
                                He won by 0.4% - 49.6% to 49.2%.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by W*GS View Post

                                  How long until Trump attacks DeSantis?
                                  Depends on what his plans for 2024 are. Not sure if he's 100% sold or just keeping his options open.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post
                                    Whoever came up with tenure pulled on over on everyone. The students they teach will all work for an ‘right to work’ employer.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post

                                      Hopefully it means what the people want. Come on, if Joe Osteen or the Church had their own land with their own rules... You'd be screaming shut it down. Long overdue here as well.

                                      MDs are held accountable for their work. Why not PhDs?
                                      People who get protection like this end up doing a crappy job. Term limits are needed as well.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

                                        Whoever came up with tenure pulled on over on everyone. The students they teach will all work for an ‘right to work’ employer.
                                        It wouldn't be so bad if it was followed, as intended, as a way to encourage the challenge of orthodoxies.

                                        As we've seen though, only certain orthodoxies are allowed to be challenged. Others became sacred. So it became clear that those who attack the spirit of tenure in their spheres of influence should probably no longer enjoy the protection of it themselves while they undermine it for others.

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Originally posted by OmegaBronco View Post

                                          He's burning down the HWY doing 75 in a 65.. And the fans are going crazy for it. Good luck catching him now.
                                          DeSantis knows how to go on offense. Republicans are long overdue for this.

                                          Comment


                                          • #22
                                            Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

                                            DeSantis knows how to go on offense. Republicans are long overdue for this.
                                            I'd say since Reagan.

                                            Comment


                                            • #23
                                              Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

                                              It wouldn't be so bad if it was followed, as intended, as a way to encourage the challenge of orthodoxies.

                                              As we've seen though, only certain orthodoxies are allowed to be challenged. Others became sacred. So it became clear that those who attack the spirit of tenure in their spheres of influence should probably no longer enjoy the protection of it themselves while they undermine it for others.
                                              Eastman was the lucky recipient of an only-for-conservatives position at the University of Colorado. He later came up with a legal theory justifying 1/6.

                                              Remind me again of why conservative orthodoxy is supposed to be taken seriously given Eastman’s performance.

                                              Comment


                                              • #24
                                                Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

                                                It wouldn't be so bad if it was followed, as intended, as a way to encourage the challenge of orthodoxies.

                                                As we've seen though, only certain orthodoxies are allowed to be challenged. Others became sacred. So it became clear that those who attack the spirit of tenure in their spheres of influence should probably no longer enjoy the protection of it themselves while they undermine it for others.
                                                Things rarely go as expected. Long overdue for an overhaul of the system.

                                                Comment


                                                • #25
                                                  Originally posted by W*GS View Post

                                                  Eastman was the lucky recipient of an only-for-conservatives position at the University of Colorado. He later came up with a legal theory justifying 1/6.

                                                  Remind me again of why conservative orthodoxy is supposed to be taken seriously given Eastman’s performance.
                                                  If this kind of rule can't stand an exception, it's not a functional rule.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X