Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge: Can anyone properly define Christianity

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Challenge: Can anyone properly define Christianity

    I’ve had many discussions over the years here and OM. Not many can properly define Christianity. Many think it is simply being a ‘spiritual person’ or doing more good than bad.

    I think much of the conflict can be clarified if we start off with a proper definition.

    Here is a quote from Focus on the Family:

    The term “Christian,” as we understand it, refers to anyone, man, woman, or child, who trusts in Jesus Christ as his or her Savior and Lord and who strives to follow Him in every area of life. As evangelicals, we place great stress on the importance of an individual’s personalrelationship with Jesus Christ. We believe that this relationship is lived out by way of prayer, study of God’s Word, fellowship with God’s people, and service to others in Jesus’ name. There’s an important sense in which Christian faith has to be expressed in the context of community with other believers. But in the final analysis, it’s an intensely personal and individual matter, not a question of church membership or doctrinal orientation. The Bible backs us up in this regard: ” Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Romans 10:13; Joel 2:32).

    That said, we should point out that Focus on the Family has always been on the side of what C. S. Lewis called Mere Christianity. Lewis used this term to refer to that body of core Christian truths which is common to believers from all kinds of church backgrounds. In other words, we are not committed to a particular denominational understanding of what it means to be a “Christian.” We’re an interdenominational ministry, and we strive to remain faithful to the spirit of St. Augustine’s famous motto: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”
    What does it really mean to be a Christian? It seems to me that this term is used too loosely nowadays. Can you give me a brief, easily understandable definition?

  • #2
    Why do Christians hate each other and kill each other?

    Comment


    • #3
      I cannot define it cause I don’t know what it is…I respect the passion and faith you guys have but for me it’s not something I can wrap my head around. Growing up I thought it was the definition you explained above. But as an adult I tend to lean on that it’s guidelines for being a good person throughout his/her life…a system to become an honest person who lives life under the umbrella of what is good and stay away from what is bad.

      I know that’s wrong in the eyes of Christians. I am not religious but I can respect those who are and never try to cancel like other clowns. It’s bizarre how much it bugs people. I find is satisfying they go through life having to hate other people for their beliefs, thus making their own lives miserable.….who gives a shit if someone believes in Christianity.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by W*GS View Post
        Why do Christians hate each other and kill each other?
        Great observation Wiggy. Jesus did predict this in several parables.

        This did come up while Jesus was in His ministry.

        Luke 9

        46An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. 47Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. 48Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

        49“Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”

        50“Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

          Great observation Wiggy.
          That's not an answer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The1percentKid View Post
            I cannot define it cause I don’t know what it is…I respect the passion and faith you guys have but for me it’s not something I can wrap my head around. Growing up I thought it was the definition you explained above. But as an adult I tend to lean on that it’s guidelines for being a good person throughout his/her life…a system to become an honest person who lives life under the umbrella of what is good and stay away from what is bad.

            I know that’s wrong in the eyes of Christians. I am not religious but I can respect those who are and never try to cancel like other clowns. It’s bizarre how much it bugs people. I find is satisfying they go through life having to hate other people for their beliefs, thus making their own lives miserable.….who gives a shit if someone believes in Christianity.
            That’s a very refreshing perspective 1P. I think people see religion of all types as a ‘badge of honor’ or making an effort either to be good, or appear good.

            Where Jesus differs from all religion is He establishes that only God is good enough for true salvation. Jesus offered His followers life to the full. We are all smart enough to know we don’t have that, but would certainly like that. It is faith & grace based salvation in Jesus, whereas everything else is works based.

            God can create anything He wants. He only is asking for one thing, our hearts. It’s free will for each to choose.

            Comment


            • The1percentKid
              The1percentKid commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re a good person Shell. Keep at it!

            • Shellback88
              Shellback88 commented
              Editing a comment
              TY 1 percent. Much appreciated. If you ever have a question, I’ll give an honest answer.

          • #7
            Originally posted by W*GS View Post

            That's not an answer.
            It’s Jesus’ answer.

            Christians should not be harming other Christians.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

              It’s Jesus’ answer.

              Christians should not be harming other Christians.
              They have and they do. There are hundreds of Christian sects. They can't all be right.

              And we non-Christians would prefer you leave us out of your wars. Thanks.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by W*GS View Post

                They have and they do. There are hundreds of Christian sects. They can't all be right.

                And we non-Christians would prefer you leave us out of your wars. Thanks.
                Do all atheists think alike?

                Atheists are never involved in wars?

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

                  Do all atheists think alike?

                  Atheists are never involved in wars?
                  You really can't think in any terms other than binary.

                  Atheists aren't the opposite of Christians.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    One religion is as good as another.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Roh View Post
                      One religion is as good as another.
                      That’s quite an effort Roh. You have a Catholic background. Give it a shot.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

                        That’s quite an effort Roh. You have a Catholic background. Give it a shot.
                        Can you properly define trolling?

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post
                          The term “Christian,” as we understand it, refers to anyone, man, woman, or child, who trusts in Jesus Christ as his or her Savior and Lord and who strives to follow Him in every area of life.
                          Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, or have misunderstood you, but I thought in the past that you have suggested that this isn’t an important aspect of being a Christian. Perhaps you can clarify your position on this.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Roh View Post

                            Can you properly define trolling?
                            First thought? Bron

                            Comment


                            • #16
                              Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post

                              Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, or have misunderstood you, but I thought in the past that you have suggested that this isn’t an important aspect of being a Christian. Perhaps you can clarify your position on this.
                              Sure. Great question Mozz.

                              How familiar are you with King David?

                              Comment


                              • #17
                                Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post

                                Sure. Great question Mozz.

                                How familiar are you with King David?
                                I know that legend has it that he was more successful in his duel against Goliath than Prince Oberyn was in his against The Mountain on GoT (Season 4, Episode 8, The Mountain and the Viper)!

                                Comment


                                • #18
                                  Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post

                                  I know that legend has it that he was more successful in his duel against Goliath than Prince Oberyn was in his against The Mountain on GoT (Season 4, Episode 8, The Mountain and the Viper)!
                                  Okay, lol. King David is seen as being in the blood line of Jesus. Yet, King David’s great grandmother was a prostitute. King David himself committed adultery and covered it over with murder. Jesus was tested when a woman caught in the act of adultery was brought before him.

                                  God’s goal is to live with His children in eternity. God can make everyone perfect with no death or sadness. However, God is love. With love, free choice must take place. With free choice sin does occur. This is where John 3:16 comes in. Jesus was the only one ever on earth to be born of a woman and not commit a sin. A good person cannot make it to eternity, only a sinless one. John 3:16 tells us that if we choose Jesus, then we get that ‘boarding pass’ to eternity. It says we need to do it with our mouth (confess) and in our hearts. I don’t believe in religion. You can pray in privacy to Jesus. In fact He recommended it.

                                  When you give your life to Jesus that is salvation. The change that happens in our lives is called sanctification. It doesn’t mean you won’t sin anymore in this life, but your heart will be changed. With a heart change, your life will change. God can make anyone perfect, but it’s our decision with our will and heart that is the only thing that matters. Once you say yes in your heart to Jesus you will get the gift of the Holy Spirit. It will help guide and comfort you through the balance of this life.

                                  I pray you consider this. I prayed for years for the truth. It was no quick process. It all pales in comparison to eternity. I know where my wife, family are headed. No one can ever take that away. I sincerely want everyone on BB to make that choice. It’s not my job to convince anyone, simply to have the courage to proclaim the truth of Jesus.

                                  Hope this helps.

                                  Comment


                                  • #19
                                    Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post
                                    God’s goal is to live with His children in eternity. God can make everyone perfect with no death or sadness. However, God is love. With love, free choice must take place. With free choice sin does occur. This is where John 3:16 comes in. Jesus was the only one ever on earth to be born of a woman and not commit a sin. A good person cannot make it to eternity, only a sinless one. John 3:16 tells us that if we choose Jesus, then we get that ‘boarding pass’ to eternity. It says we need to do it with our mouth (confess) and in our hearts. I don’t believe in religion. You can pray in privacy to Jesus. In fact He recommended it.
                                    The Catholic church says this is done via the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I’m sure you’re familiar with it. Since you’re not Catholic, how do you believe it is done? Personally/privately?

                                    Comment


                                    • #20
                                      Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post
                                      When you give your life to Jesus that is salvation. The change that happens in our lives is called sanctification. It doesn’t mean you won’t sin anymore in this life, but your heart will be changed. With a heart change, your life will change. God can make anyone perfect, but it’s our decision with our will and heart that is the only thing that matters. Once you say yes in your heart to Jesus you will get the gift of the Holy Spirit. It will help guide and comfort you through the balance of this life.
                                      I think my “departure”, for lack of a better word, from faith/religion started after I received the Sacrament of Confirmation. We were taught that we were receiving the Holy Spirit and given the expectation that something wonderful was going to happen to us, something we would know and feel. So of course, as a young person, I had unrealistic expectations and was rather disappointed when I felt nothing. I wonder how many others have had a similar experience!

                                      Comment


                                      • #21
                                        Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post

                                        The Catholic church says this is done via the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I’m sure you’re familiar with it. Since you’re not Catholic, how do you believe it is done? Personally/privately?
                                        Yes. Absolutely. Hebrews says specifically that Jesus is our High Priest (intercession) between man & God. After the Cross & Jesus’ death the temple curtain tore, opening the Homy of Hokies. Happy to expound on that if it’s helpful.

                                        Great questions. I know many have been hurt or misled. I simply point to Jesus.

                                        Comment


                                        • #22
                                          Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post

                                          I think my “departure”, for lack of a better word, from faith/religion started after I received the Sacrament of Confirmation. We were taught that we were receiving the Holy Spirit and given the expectation that something wonderful was going to happen to us, something we would know and feel. So of course, as a young person, I had unrealistic expectations and was rather disappointed when I felt nothing. I wonder how many others have had a similar experience!
                                          Many have had similar experience, and worse.

                                          I was sprinkled as a baby Catholic, then my parents went to a more legalistic faith. I read my Bible cover to cover on my own. I asked questions. I was told not to question. I left that faith. I prayed for truth for years and told God I would do what He asked of me. I would recommend to you or anyone else to go straight to Jesus and not through a person. We are all fallen, only Jesus is worthy. You can go to Him privately. It’s not about works, it’s about your heart. Look at the parable of the Prodigal son. Are you familiar?

                                          Comment


                                          • #23
                                            I grew up in an Episcopalian Church. I think we believed God was more tolerant and forgiving than the other Christian sects.

                                            Comment


                                            • #24
                                              One religion is as good as another.

                                              Comment


                                              • #25
                                                Originally posted by Shellback88 View Post
                                                Look at the parable of the Prodigal son. Are you familiar?
                                                Yup. Learned that in CCD and then heard it every year at mass.

                                                Comment

                                                Working...
                                                X