Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Rookie Report (through week 8)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broncos Rookie Report (through week 8)

    Round 2, Pick 64: Nik Bonitto, OLB, Oklahoma
    6 games active, 2 games inactive (healthy scratch)
    123 defensive snaps (22.3% of all defensive snaps)
    20 special teams snaps (9.1% of all special teams snaps)
    Stats: 3 solo tackles, 3 assisted tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 2 QBH

    3-80: Greg Dulcich, TE, UCLA
    3 games active, 1 start
    137 offensive snaps (25.6%)
    0 special teams snaps
    Stats: 12 receptions (17 targets), 182 yards, 1 touchdown

    4-115: Damarri Mathis, CB, Pittsburgh
    8 games active, 3 starts
    312 defensive snaps (56.5%)
    61 special teams snaps (27.7%)
    Stats: 23 solo tackles, 3 assisted tackles, 1 TFL, 3 passes defensed

    4-116: Eyioma Uwazurike, DE, Iowa State
    2 games active, 6 games inactive (healthy scratch)
    27 defensive snaps (4.9%)
    4 special teams snaps (1.8%)
    Stats: 3 assisted tackles

    5-152: Delarrin Turner-Yell, S, Oklahoma
    5 games active, 3 games inactive (healthy scratch)
    0 defensive snaps
    80 special teams snaps (36.4%)
    Stats: 2 solo tackles

    5-162: Montrell Washington, WR, Samford
    8 games active
    42 offensive snaps (7.8%)
    113 special teams snaps (51.4%)
    Stats: 3 rushes, 30 yards; 3 receptions, 5 yards; 18 punt returns, 167 yards (9.3 average); 8 kick returns, 148 yards (18.5 average)

    5-171: Luke Wattenberg, OL, Washington
    8 games active
    1 offensive snap (0.2%)
    11 special teams snap (5%)

    6-206: Matt Henningsen, DE, Wisconsin
    8 games active
    119 defensive snaps (21.6%)
    38 special teams snaps (17.3%)
    Stats: 7 solo tackle, 4 assisted tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL, 1 QBH

    7-232: Faion Hicks, CB, Wisconsin
    Cut after preseason, currently on practice squad

    UDFA: Jalen Virgil, WR, Appalachian State
    1 game active, 7 games inactive (healthy scratch)
    0 offensive snaps
    0 special teams snaps​

  • #2
    After a very rocky first few games, things are looking up for our rookie class! Damarri Mathis and Greg Dulcich have both started games now, and look to remain in the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. Nik Bonitto and Matt Henningsen are regular parts of the DL rotation now, and Montrell Washington and Delarrin Turner-Yell are regulars on most of our special teams units.

    Best Rookie: Greg Dulcich -- very rare to see tight ends acclimate to the pro game so quickly. He's already twice the blocker that Albert O ever was, and he has an uncanny ability to get wide open every time he runs a pass pattern. Great pick by Paton.

    Biggest surprise: Matt Henningsen -- one of the best 6th round picks in the 2022 draft, he's added crucial depth for the d-line and looked good doing it.

    Biggest disappointment: Eyioma Uwazurike -- inactive for six games, and beaten out for playing time by Henningsen (who was drafted two rounds and 90 picks after him)

    Biggest rollercoaster ride: Damarri Mathis -- once Darby went down (and Ojemudia went AWOL), Mathis was thrown into the fire and has predictably been targeted by opposing quarterbacks, who would rather throw at him than at Patrick Surtain II. Understandably, he's had a few shaky games, but played very well in our game against Jacksonville. He'll continue to be tested for the rest of the season, but I'm impressed at how well he's hung in there so far.

    Still waiting to see: Luke Wattenberg & Jalen Virgil
    Last edited by BowlenBall; 11-04-2022, 06:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Virgil got Hamler speed.
      I wish we would bring him up and rotate the burner position so it's always fast.
      Plus football is a game of match ups, sometimes a CB might have one guys number that day, but the other one could smoke him and visa versa...

      Too bad our coaches are not getting him out there as that fella can fly.

      Comment


      • Allen_C
        Allen_C commented
        Editing a comment
        Virgil has Hamler speed but is 6'1. I'm not sure why he hasn't been used at all, use him as a decoy if nothing else

      • Old Coyote
        Old Coyote commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Put that fella out there and it will be hard to remove him. He's fast, big as **** for how fast he is, and the youngster has hands.

    • #4
      Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
      Virgil got Hamler speed.
      I wish we would bring him up and rotate the burner position so it's always fast.
      Plus football is a game of match ups, sometimes a CB might have one guys number that day, but the other one could smoke him and visa versa...

      Too bad our coaches are not getting him out there as that fella can fly.
      He’d have to be a killer gunner on ST to make the 53. Teams should have bigger rosters for a 17 week season.

      Comment


      • Old Coyote
        Old Coyote commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, that stinks... And Yes, they should.

    • #5
      really disappointed that we are not using Albert O in RZ.

      Comment


      • #6
        Originally posted by BowlenBall View Post
        After a very rocky first few games, things are looking up for our rookie class! Damarri Mathis and Greg Dulcich have both started games now, and look to remain in the starting lineup for the foreseeable future. Nik Bonitto and Matt Henningsen are regular parts of the DL rotation now, and Montrell Washington and Delarrin Turner-Yell are regulars on most of our special teams units.

        Best Rookie: Greg Dulcich -- very rare to see tight ends acclimate to the pro game so quickly. He's already twice the blocker that Albert O ever was, and he has an uncanny ability to get wide open every time he runs a pass pattern. Great pick by Paton.

        Biggest surprise: Matt Henningsen -- one of the best 6th round picks in the 2022 draft, he's added crucial depth for the d-line and looked good doing it.

        Biggest disappointment: Eyioma Uwazurike -- inactive for six games, and beaten out for playing time by Henningsen (who was drafted two rounds and 90 picks after him)

        Biggest rollercoaster ride: Damarri Mathis -- once Darby went down (and Ojemudia went AWOL), Mathis was thrown into the fire and has predicatably been targeted by opposing quarterbacks, who would rather throw at him than at Patrick Surtain II. Understandably, he's had a few shaky games, but played very well in our game against Jacksonville. He'll continue to be tested for the rest of the season, but I'm impressed at how well he's hung in there so far.

        Still waiting to see: Luke Wattenberg & Jalen Virgil
        What's going on with Uwazurike anyway? Did he get dinged up in the preseason? I expected early contributions from that guy.

        Comment


        • #7
          Damarri Mathis was drafted with the reputation that he was grabby and drew too many penalties. This may be a reason he dropped to the 4th round, as he has good talent and effort. Paton & coaches think it is just a technique issue, so maybe he is learning more and just gaining more confidence.

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by R8R H8R View Post
            Damarri Mathis was drafted with the reputation that he was grabby and drew too many penalties. This may be a reason he dropped to the 4th round, as he has good talent and effort. Paton & coaches think it is just a technique issue, so maybe he is learning more and just gaining more confidence.
            If he continues progressing he will make Darby expendable. Trade him for whatever you can get or just cut him for cap space.

            Comment


            • #9
              Paton has strung two great drafts in a row, really makes good use of the day 3 picks and hits on the early picks as well.

              Comment


              • R8R H8R
                R8R H8R commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I agree.

              • BowlenBall
                BowlenBall commented
                Editing a comment
                You are correct, sir. Paton is our best talent evaluator since the Goodmans, and possibly ever if he has a few more drafts like his first two.

            • #10
              Originally posted by PRBronco View Post

              What's going on with Uwazurike anyway? Did he get dinged up in the preseason? I expected early contributions from that guy.
              He is high potential player but needs time to develop. He was compared to Akieem Hicks and like Hicks, he is going to need to coached the right technique.

              Comment


              • BowlenBall
                BowlenBall commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope you're right -- defensive linemen usually take a year or two to adjust to the speed and power of the pro game. On the other hand, he's a pretty old rookie (turned 24 in May), so not sure how much more physical upside he's got....

              • Allen_C
                Allen_C commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't think the physical part of the game is his problem. He's a monster in that aspect, I think it's the mental side of the game. Kolar might be able to turn him into what he can be but he was behind the curve when it comes to coaching at the college level.
            Working...
            X