Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsung hero and Coach Hackett time management F up of the game Week 3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unsung hero and Coach Hackett time management F up of the game Week 3

    This could probably be a bumped topic for each week and it should (at least the first part). Mike Boone downing the ball, on the great punt, at the 2 by keeping his balance. That lead to the safety against the 49ers. The Hackett F up was running the ball 3 plays in a row at 2:03 with the 49ers having the 2 minute warning and two timeouts. The time was not an issue especially needing only a field goal to win. Get the first down and then run the clock out. Luckily, that was his only major time f up.

    Oh, to get this thread to catch on for the future weeks, BLAZE!
    Last edited by Broncocalijohn; 09-26-2022, 05:11 PM.

  • #2
    What did you want them to do? I recall it being 2 :06 left which is too many seconds before e the 2 min warning to pass. If they didn't run the timeouts the 9ers wouldn't have been scrambling after the sack to run the play which ended the game. The real ****up was McManus shitty FG miss. Looked like a 20 handicap out there with that OTT slice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DD55 View Post
      What did you want them to do? I recall it being 2 :06 left which is too many seconds before e the 2 min warning to pass. If they didn't run the timeouts the 9ers wouldn't have been scrambling after the sack to run the play which ended the game. The real ****up was McManus shitty FG miss. Looked like a 20 handicap out there with that OTT slice.
      I think McManus just got to full of himself. Needs a reality check.

      Bottom line he's a great kicker but it does appear to be something is wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        I figure with kickers it's typically like a batting slump and he'll get things corrected. Regarding the three running plays, I don't feel like that's a **** up at all.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
          I figure with kickers it's typically like a batting slump and he'll get things corrected. Regarding the three running plays, I don't feel like that's a **** up at all.
          I don't feel like its a **** up, but I feel its him being ultra conservative and safe, and just trying to not mess things up. I guess its the right call because I simply don't have confidence in him yet, but I'd prefer a coach that wasn't so reactive and scared. I get it after his first 2 weeks though.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SGB View Post

            I don't feel like its a **** up, but I feel its him being ultra conservative and safe, and just trying to not mess things up. I guess its the right call because I simply don't have confidence in him yet, but I'd prefer a coach that wasn't so reactive and scared. I get it after his first 2 weeks though.
            Explain to me how running three times to bleed clock with the lead is reactive and scared? Especially when your defense is playing absolutely insane. And he was RIGHT. We literally got the ball back with a forced turnover immediately after the punt. That isn't coaching scared. That's high confidence your best unit is going to win you the game and getting out of their way.

            The only criticism I have for them running at all is why they still don't get that Melvin "Fumbles" Gordon is going to burn them, and very likely do so in the red zone. He fumbled twice last game and was bailed out.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kaylore View Post

              Explain to me how running three times to bleed clock with the lead is reactive and scared? Especially when your defense is playing absolutely insane. And he was RIGHT. We literally got the ball back with a forced turnover immediately after the punt. That isn't coaching scared. That's high confidence your best unit is going to win you the game and getting out of their way.

              The only criticism I have for them running at all is why they still don't get that Melvin "Fumbles" Gordon is going to burn them, and very likely do so in the red zone. He fumbled twice last game and was bailed out.
              It saves maybe 15-20 seconds at most, maybe 1-2 plays. Because they are running, it guarantees that they get the ball back. I would hope to have enough confidence in my 50 million dollar QB and HC that is the OC to give them a chance to win the game themselves first, then if they don't, it's close to the same chance your defense gets the stop with the exact same amount of time in the clock, but a single time out.

              They could have also ran a play on first down that was a pass, but took 6 seconds off the clock. Can't trust your 50 million dollar QB to make a smart decision there, or your OC/HC to have such a play that runs at least 6 seconds off the clock?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SGB View Post

                It saves maybe 15-20 seconds at most, maybe 1-2 plays. Because they are running, it guarantees that they get the ball back. I would hope to have enough confidence in my 50 million dollar QB and HC that is the OC to give them a chance to win the game themselves first, then if they don't, it's close to the same chance your defense gets the stop with the exact same amount of time in the clock, but a single time out.

                They could have also ran a play on first down that was a pass, but took 6 seconds off the clock. Can't trust your 50 million dollar QB to make a smart decision there, or your OC/HC to have such a play that runs at least 6 seconds off the clock?
                Sure, 3 games from now when the offense is on the same page and coach/QB start having that mindshare. Right now leaning on the defense gives us the best chance to win and taking away as many Timeouts as possible was paramount. I’m sure we’ll see more creativity again once Hackett starts opening up the playbook.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Samiwindr View Post

                  Sure, 3 games from now when the offense is on the same page and coach/QB start having that mindshare. Right now leaning on the defense gives us the best chance to win and taking away as many Timeouts as possible was paramount. I’m sure we’ll see more creativity again once Hackett starts opening up the playbook.
                  Right, it's not the kind of decision that I see with a coach that is 100% confident and in control. Want a screw up, but I feel it was pretty telling about where he's at.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It was the smart, safe play call during that series. When you're back is against the wall but your defense is playing great, you rely on that D to hold that lead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      I figure with kickers it's typically like a batting slump and he'll get things corrected. Regarding the three running plays, I don't feel like that's a **** up at all.
                      It reminds me of Marty Ball and why Elway beat his teams the most in the 4th quarter. He played not to lose. At that point of 2 minute warning and 2 timeouts, he needed to try to get the first if possible with safe plays that have a high probability of being caught.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I also thought running the ball was way too conservative

                        should have thrown it. 49ers still got the ball back with plenty of time to get into fg range

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think if we are up three, throwing it would have been on the table. FG wouldn't lose the game in that scenario.

                          By running the ball, we force the timeouts and give them less of their playbook to use. Very smart coaching.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You can argue that the play just before the 2 min warning could’ve been a pass because it would’ve taken as much time to pass as run. Other than that, no, you run the ball. But this is not a time management FU.

                            The defense was absolutely in Garaffolo’s head, and Kyle Shanahan knew it. You either believe in your defense, or you don’t.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I would love to see the reaction from fans & media if Hackett has Wilson throw it, and it’s all incompletions or worse, and the Niners take their time and march into FG territory to win it. I’m sure you all would be like “no worries, he was aggressive there and that was the correct call”.

                              Comment


                              • SonsOfMileHigh
                                SonsOfMileHigh commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The pain and hand wringing of the win loss. Why can't we win like I think they should have?!?!?!

                            • #16
                              You expect a RB of Javonte’s caliber to be able to get a first and ice the game.

                              Didn’t they run Gordon’s worthless butt though?

                              Comment


                              • #17
                                Originally posted by R8R H8R View Post
                                You can argue that the play just before the 2 min warning could’ve been a pass because it would’ve taken as much time to pass as run. Other than that, no, you run the ball. But this is not a time management FU.

                                The defense was absolutely in Garaffolo’s head, and Kyle Shanahan knew it. You either believe in your defense, or you don’t.
                                a pass would have been the better call if that play takes you all the way to the 2 minute warning.

                                incompletion may have given the 49ers one more play if it takes less than 6 seconds

                                6 seconds is a long time for a pass play that’s incomplete unless you want to throw a go route.





                                Comment


                                • #18
                                  Originally posted by Tangerine View Post
                                  You expect a RB of Javonte’s caliber to be able to get a first and ice the game.

                                  Didn’t they run Gordon’s worthless butt though?
                                  nope

                                  williams twice gordon once.

                                  another shot at Hackett ?

                                  Comment


                                  • #19
                                    Originally posted by ceh View Post

                                    nope

                                    williams twice gordon once.

                                    another shot at Hackett ?
                                    No… Javonte should be able to close the game in that situation, he’s averaging nearly 5 yards a carry. Any coach would run the ball with a RB like Javonte. He just didn’t get it done.

                                    Comment


                                    • #20
                                      Agree with the call.. Don't give it to Gordon.. give 3 times to Williams.

                                      Comment


                                      • #21
                                        I think he wanted to throw and his dad (Rosberg) told him no, we’re running it.

                                        I know Rosberg talked him out of stupidly going on 4th and punting instead.

                                        Comment


                                        • #22
                                          Originally posted by go_broncos View Post
                                          Agree with the call.. Don't give it to Gordon.. give 3 times to Williams.
                                          I would have made the argument that maybe Gordon was the "hot hand" late in the game, but it wasn't true. Williams was running at a better rate per carry, so I don't have an answer here as to why they chose Melvin. But I do agree with them running the ball; and forcing the 49ers to burn their time outs. It was good strategy.

                                          Comment


                                          • #23
                                            Originally posted by go_broncos View Post
                                            Agree with the call.. Don't give it to Gordon.. give 3 times to Williams.
                                            Yeah I'm fine with 3 runs, but if a game is within one score in the 4th quarter, Gordon should not be on the field.

                                            Comment


                                            • #24
                                              Gordon cannot be trusted, but what to do? Boone is good, but not Gordon good with the ball, and he dropped an easy pass Monday night. I really don’t understand why he’s in there in critical situations, but I do understand he is the best pass blocker RB they have.

                                              Comment


                                              • #25
                                                Originally posted by SGB View Post

                                                It saves maybe 15-20 seconds at most, maybe 1-2 plays. Because they are running, it guarantees that they get the ball back. I would hope to have enough confidence in my 50 million dollar QB and HC that is the OC to give them a chance to win the game themselves first, then if they don't, it's close to the same chance your defense gets the stop with the exact same amount of time in the clock, but a single time out.

                                                They could have also ran a play on first down that was a pass, but took 6 seconds off the clock. Can't trust your 50 million dollar QB to make a smart decision there, or your OC/HC to have such a play that runs at least 6 seconds off the clock?
                                                Yeah, there was enough time on the clock that time wasn't really a huge factor. Not like there was 50 seconds to go... still on the up side of the 2 min warning. Get a 1st down to seal the win. Or punt and rely on the D one more time.

                                                Run, run, run basically took option A off the table.

                                                Comment

                                                Working...
                                                X