Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonathan Cooper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jonathan Cooper

    Without the Mane there was no place to talk about this kid. I can't think of a young player that has impressed me this much in a while (no disrespect to Surtain II).

    I know he has been going against some backups, but he did what he was supposed to do - dominate them. I think he is our next great gem at OLB, and unfortunately he might make Von replaceable by next year. Not because he's better than Von, but "good enough" to drop Von's salary from the team.

    I didn't watch a lot of Ohio State games. Was he this good back then, or did he just smell his opportunity? Love the energy this kid brings.
    Last edited by cmhargrove; 08-31-2021, 10:48 AM.

  • #2
    I think he played most on the line so it looked different. I’m not sure he’s athletic enough to be a really high ceiling player tho.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cooper is a stud at football, a good kid off the field, and will be involved in the community.

      Ohio State Overview
      • Two-time Ohio State team captain
      • Graduated with his consumer and family financial studies
      • Played the best football of his career as a redshirt senior, earning second-team All-America honors by the AFCA
      • Two-time academic all-Big Ten Conference honoree
      • First Buckeye chosen to wear the “Block O” jersey for character and selfless, player-driven leadership qualities
      • Two-time all-Big Ten honoree, including third-team in 2020
      • Played in 45 career games and made 25 starts
      • Recorded 75 career tackles with 15 TFLs and 10 quarterback sacks plus two pass break-ups
      • Also had two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a blocked kick
      • Was limited to just four games due to injury as a true senior in 2019 and elected to redshirt
      • A team captain, he started all four games that he played in 2019 – at Nebraska, vs. Michigan State, at Northwestern and at Michigan
      • Produced six tackles and one sack in those four contests
      • In 2018, he started 13 games, made 25 tackles, had 6.5 TFLs and earned honorable mention all-conference honors
      • Also recovered a fumble and had a blocked extra point attempt in the Tulane game
      • In 2017, playing alongside four defensive ends who would be drafted, Cooper played in all 14 games and had 15 tackles and three TFLs
      • Had a personal-best two quarterback sacks vs. Illinois
      • Played in six games as a true freshman in 2016, including the College Football Playoff semifinals vs. Clemson
      • Had his first quarterback sack in the win over Maryland
      • A member of the 2016 recruiting class, he enrolled in classes at Ohio State in January 2016
      • Is majoring in consumer & family financial services.

      https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/jonathon-cooper/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yerner View Post
        I think he played most on the line so it looked different. I’m not sure he’s athletic enough to be a really high ceiling player tho.
        Respectfully disagree. He made a number of plays, the athletic kind, in just about every series he was in.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post

          Respectfully disagree. He made a number of plays, the athletic kind, in just about every series he was in.
          Yeah, I hope I'm wrong. He defintely looks like he could make himself a career in the 34. Just some stuff I've seen from this scouting report that seem true. Mechanical.

          https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jonath...8-37197ea670fa

          Comment


          • #6
            He looked amazing, really solid preseason and made us cut tuska he was so good

            Comment


            • #7
              I didn't watch that much college ball last year, but according to Scribe, whose opinion I respect, the defensive coaching staff at Ohio State, due to the late season start, kept things very basic in 2020, because they didn't feel they had enough time to introduce any sort of defensive complexity. They just sort of turned them loose, relying on their physical abilities to overpower most opponents. Assuming that's the case, we should see a lot of those guys outperform expectations with good coaching.

              And Cooper would never have fallen to the 7th but for the medicals.

              Comment


              • #8
                He seems to bring an energy to the game and I love that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Old Dude View Post
                  I didn't watch that much college ball last year, but according to Scribe, whose opinion I respect, the defensive coaching staff at Ohio State, due to the late season start, kept things very basic in 2020, because they didn't feel they had enough time to introduce any sort of defensive complexity. They just sort of turned them loose, relying on their physical abilities to overpower most opponents. Assuming that's the case, we should see a lot of those guys outperform expectations with good coaching.

                  And Cooper would never have fallen to the 7th but for the medicals.
                  What were the medicals?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Yerner View Post

                    What were the medicals?
                    He was born with a sunken chest and it has given him Heart issues.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Yerner View Post

                      What were the medicals?
                      After comeback from recent heart surgeries, Broncos' Jonathon Cooper eager for 2021 (denverpost.com)

                      Two heart ablation surgeries in high school.

                      Irregularity in electrocardiogram test two days before the 2021 draft.

                      Three additional heart ablation surgeries in May (which resulted in missing rookie camp and most of the OTAs).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Old Dude View Post

                        After comeback from recent heart surgeries, Broncos' Jonathon Cooper eager for 2021 (denverpost.com)

                        Two heart ablation surgeries in high school.

                        Irregularity in electrocardiogram test two days before the 2021 draft.

                        Three additional heart ablation surgeries in May (which resulted in missing rookie camp and most of the OTAs).
                        I really like the guy. Sounds like a good person on and off the field. You have to wonder after all that if playing NFL football is the right decision though. I would hate for something bad to happen to him. At the end of the day this is just a game. Human life should always trump a game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by quoydogs View Post

                          I really like the guy. Sounds like a good person on and off the field. You have to wonder after all that if playing NFL football is the right decision though. I would hate for something bad to happen to him. At the end of the day this is just a game. Human life should always trump a game.
                          i would hope he consulted physicians and is a low low risk for anything.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ludo21 View Post

                            i would hope he consulted physicians and is a low low risk for anything.
                            There is no doubt that he did, and I am sure that the Broncos insisted on it. We hear "heart procedure" and freak out, but the Broncos knew about it when they drafted him, so they apparently weren't too concerned.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X