Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Ozark

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Ozark

    Not sure if there’s another thread about this incredible show. If it is just merge threads.


    I started watching this back in 2017. Looking for a Breaking Bad type fix. It sucked me in faster than BB did(which I watched from day 1 and had to go through huge time gaps between seasons). Everything about Ozark is phenomenal. From the characters to the atmosphere of how they film it all in bland bluish colors. Not going to talk about the series ender, cause I don’t want to give anything away.


    this is a must watch show for anyone who is drawn to shows that suck you right in from the first episode.

  • #2
    Really good show, fully agree with the recommendation. I don’t, however, put it on par with BB or BCS. And that’s not a criticism because very few shows are on that level.

    Comment


    • The1percentKid
      The1percentKid commented
      Editing a comment
      BB and Saul my top of all time. It’s been a wild ride

    • Mozzafiato
      Mozzafiato commented
      Editing a comment
      Sopranos, The Wire, and BB are my top tier.

  • #3
    I, too, enjoyed Ozark. Good acting and very interesting how the main characters transformed as the series transpired.

    Comment


    • #4
      Yup this one was great. The ending left me like. 🫣🫣. Shame it had to end.

      Comment


      • #5
        I loved the show but I feel the writing got weak on the last season. The back and forth was kind of ridiculous. Still the literal very ending was pretty good.

        Comment


        • #6
          I could watch Ozark, The Expanse and Lost (I know, something about it) on a loop forever and be content.

          Ozark makes me think, episode after episode, how the **** could someone live like that? That’s how you know it’s a great show…

          Comment


          • Johnykbr
            Johnykbr commented
            Editing a comment
            Since you loved Lost, try From on Epix. It's Lost meets Salem's Lot. Really good so far and they're filming the second season now.

        • #7
          Originally posted by B-Large View Post
          I could watch Ozark, The Expanse and Lost (I know, something about it) on a loop forever and be content.

          Ozark makes me think, episode after episode, how the **** could someone live like that? That’s how you know it’s a great show…
          Lost was a fantastic show, but they didn’t stick the landing which tarnished it in the minds of most, myself included. But the overall watching experience was otherwise one of my all time favorites. I haven’t tried The Expanse yet but I have heard it’s very good.

          Comment


          • #8
            I was actually fine with the Lost ending. I thought the fundamental problem with Lost (a show I watched every week from beginning to end and mostly loved) was that they were so effective at setting up the mysteries of the island, the payoffs could never match it. It’s amazing how little was revealed in Season 1. It was still entertaining all the way through but in a different way.

            Comment


            • #9
              Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
              I was actually fine with the Lost ending. I thought the fundamental problem with Lost (a show I watched every week from beginning to end and mostly loved) was that they were so effective at setting up the mysteries of the island, the payoffs could never match it. It’s amazing how little was revealed in Season 1. It was still entertaining all the way through but in a different way.
              Agree. They set up a bunch of stories, and left a lot of Easter eggs, that generated dozens of fan theories. Many of them amounted to little or nothing, and some of them were just never explained. There wasn’t an end to end coherence on all of the elements.

              A show that has at least some similarities that I think did a better job overall is The Leftovers.

              Comment


              • #10
                Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post

                Agree. They set up a bunch of stories, and left a lot of Easter eggs, that generated dozens of fan theories. Many of them amounted to little or nothing, and some of them were just never explained. There wasn’t an end to end coherence on all of the elements.

                A show that has at least some similarities that I think did a better job overall is The Leftovers.
                The end of Leftovers felt rushed though.... I think they shut it down prematurely, but that was probably ratings vs budget.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Ozark was ok, but I thought the plots and story arcs, especially the last couple seasons, all followed the same pattern: 1) A problems arises, 2) The problem builds up, 3) Builds up some more, 4) Finally resolved - fast and by shortcut, slap-dash means. That sequence repeated again and again.

                  The "shortcut, slap-dash means" often included shocking, unexpected murders: e.g. Blondie-Ruth's brother(s), cousin(s), the real estate guy's mother (walked into traffic), the lady lawyer, the lady marriage counselor, the Old Man Snell, Snell had killed Esai Morales' character, then Mrs. Snell, plenty more.

                  Speaking of Ruth - Blondie - did anybody notice when Marty Byrd just gave her control of the strip club - told her, "you run this place now, it's all in your hands." After that, we almost never saw her at the club! She was always at home or somehwere else, especially in the evenings when ​​​​​things were likely heating up at the club.

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    I’m starting Peaky Blinders and it makes me want to smoke again lol

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by Mozzafiato View Post
                      Lost was a fantastic show, but they didn’t stick the landing which tarnished it in the minds of most, myself included.
                      Originally posted by Aztec Bronco
                      I thought the fundamental problem with Lost (a show I watched every week from beginning to end and mostly loved) was that they were so effective at setting up the mysteries of the island, the payoffs could never match it.
                      Bullseye and bingo. Identical experience here - but to be honest, I bailed halfway thru the last season. You guys realize it's just a couple months shy of 18 years since Lost premiered?

                      We could really use some series recommendations - Kind of interested in these:
                      The Expanse:
                      Peaky Blinders:
                      The Leftovers: (post rapture thing right?)
                      Yellowstone:

                      Other than Ozark, we watch mostly mainstream stuff, but here's some recommendations:
                      Bosch - Pretty good Hollywood-L.A. cop series, with city government intrigue. If you don't mind a kinda-dweeby star, it works.
                      Stranger Things - Started this, but bailed because it seemed like it was aimed at a teen audience (?)
                      Jack Ryan - Same Jack Ryan, this time played by 'Jim' from The Office. Just 2 seasons, but very very good. Amazon Studios
                      Reacher - The series, not as good as the movies. Jack is a huge guy here, who gets mad, and other differences from the movies
                      Homeland - Excellent global CIA terrorism drama - lotsa personal w/ Clare Danes' character, but great show anyway, great actors. Unmatched genius creative series ending. Showtime
                      Who Is America? - Sacha Baron-Cohen thrusts new characters into satirical reality situations - S1:E2 is the most entertaining 30 minutes of TV I've ever seen - a Georgia state senator forced to resign when it aired, not sure Dick Cheney can ever show his face again, Cohen himself almost gets killed by a small-town Arizona mob, you can't fool Ted Koppel, plus two or three more. Literally, you CANNOT miss this episode. - Showtime


                      If you have an amazon Prime Video subscription, this app/site streams both those Showtime shows - plus lotysa stuff, all three John Wicks, both Reacher movies and the series, all for free w/ 30-dy trial: https://www.chilimovie.com/us

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        I am destroying For All Mankind at the moment. Great alternate reality story about the space race in the 50's. Plan on watching Ozark with the wife when she gets back.

                        Comment


                        • Mozzafiato
                          Mozzafiato commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good show. Haven’t started the new season yet.

                        • BroncoBuff
                          BroncoBuff commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Alternate reality about the 1950s space race? We have a winner ... thanks!

                      • #15
                        Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                        We could really use some series recommendations - Kind of interested in these:
                        The Expanse:
                        Peaky Blinders:
                        The Leftovers: (post rapture thing right?)
                        Yellowstone:
                        A few off-the-top-of-my-head great shows that I highly recommend:

                        Rectify
                        Fleabag
                        BoJack Horseman
                        Mindhunter
                        Narcos

                        Comment


                        • #16
                          Teletubbies.

                          Comment


                          • #17
                            Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post

                            Bullseye and bingo. Identical experience here - but to be honest, I bailed halfway thru the last season. You guys realize it's just a couple months shy of 18 years since Lost premiered?

                            We could really use some series recommendations - Kind of interested in these:
                            The Expanse:
                            Peaky Blinders:
                            The Leftovers: (post rapture thing right?)
                            Yellowstone:

                            Other than Ozark, we watch mostly mainstream stuff, but here's some recommendations:
                            Bosch - Pretty good Hollywood-L.A. cop series, with city government intrigue. If you don't mind a kinda-dweeby star, it works.
                            Stranger Things - Started this, but bailed because it seemed like it was aimed at a teen audience (?)
                            Jack Ryan - Same Jack Ryan, this time played by 'Jim' from The Office. Just 2 seasons, but very very good. Amazon Studios
                            Reacher - The series, not as good as the movies. Jack is a huge guy here, who gets mad, and other differences from the movies
                            Homeland - Excellent global CIA terrorism drama - lotsa personal w/ Clare Danes' character, but great show anyway, great actors. Unmatched genius creative series ending. Showtime
                            Who Is America? - Sacha Baron-Cohen thrusts new characters into satirical reality situations - S1:E2 is the most entertaining 30 minutes of TV I've ever seen - a Georgia state senator forced to resign when it aired, not sure Dick Cheney can ever show his face again, Cohen himself almost gets killed by a small-town Arizona mob, you can't fool Ted Koppel, plus two or three more. Literally, you CANNOT miss this episode. - Showtime


                            If you have an amazon Prime Video subscription, this app/site streams both those Showtime shows - plus lotysa stuff, all three John Wicks, both Reacher movies and the series, all for free w/ 30-dy trial: https://www.chilimovie.com/us
                            Took me awhile to get into Peaky Blinders, but that's a common problem with me. Haven't finished the last season yet, but worth the time.

                            I'd watch The Leftovers again. Not a huge time commitment with only 3 seasons I think.

                            Yellowstone is utter trash, almost humorously so... but I'm mostly up on it... Feels like you have to be, like in the heyday of Dallas.

                            Halo season 1 was better than I expected, but you probably have to be at least somewhat into Halo.

                            Latest pickup for me is Billy the Kid on Epix. Season 1 was not bad. But maybe just had a western itch.

                            Last Kingdom... great, but done now. At least until the movie. Maybe better than Vikings even... which I also enjoyed, although it really dragged at the end.

                            Also still a season behind on BCS, but plodding along. Still entertaining, but the wife not quite as into... Oh, which should bring up Mrs. Maisel. Funny and light. Great show.

                            Comment


                            • The1percentKid
                              The1percentKid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Beth from Yellowstone is great!

                          • #18
                            Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
                            I’m starting Peaky Blinders and it makes me want to smoke again lol
                            Finished Season 1. This show rocks. Only minor complaint is the music kinda takes me out of the otherwise rich atmosphere. I loved how Boardwalk Empire felt 100% authentic. But I'm nitpicking.

                            Comment


                            • #19
                              Stranger things season 4 is among the best seasons of a show I’ve ever seen.


                              i advise watching it on a high quality entertainment system. All the seasons are great but this one stands on its own. I’m a sucker for 80s themes and they do it 100%

                              you actually watch those kids grow up.

                              Comment


                              • Mozzafiato
                                Mozzafiato commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It has been a surprisingly good season. I’ve got the finale left to watch.

                            • #20
                              I liked "The Expanse"
                              But kinda has to set itself up and that takes like 2 seasons. But they do a good job of getting you there. And the last episode doesn't completely leave out a spin off.

                              I could not start "the left overs"
                              I had enough of that horrible "destroy the earth now so we can make armegedon happen before we die and thereby force Jesus to show up so we don't have to die" bullshit for 6 lifetimes.
                              But something about the idea vs execution is funny to me.
                              The nuns used to threaten me and my classmates that we would be left behind after the rapture. Yet on every show about it, it's always blond chicks and white dudes with like one black guy that talks like a white dude. Shouldn't the world be full of heathen Natives, Muslims, and other non-Jesus followers? When they make that show... I'll still not watch it, but I'll at least give it a thumbs up for being more like the spiritual nightmares the nuns told.

                              "Yellowstone" is like "Dallas" mixed with "Hell or Highwater" it's good and bad in both ways.

                              I liked "Halo" but I played the game back in the day so... I'm likely biased. But I give it a thumbs up so far.

                              I liked "Upload" about a guy that dies and gets uploaded before hand into a utopia for rich people to live on without a body. It's got enough romantic comedy to it that it does well as a compromise show to watch with your lady. So take it like that and it's got some funny things.

                              I liked "The Boys" about superheroes being horrible. It's very adult. But funny as well as a good ride.

                              "1883" is a one season long better cowboy take from the Yellowstone universe. Isabell May will be a big star off of it.



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X